Monday, March 16, 2009

Vermont's Lack of Religion

This past couple of weeks in class, we have been talking about the importance of religion and politics as we are starting to read The Stillborn God by Mark Lilla. A few days before starting to read this book, I found an article in the Burlington Free Press that talked about how Vermont is the least religious state. I read the article and my first thought was that there was a mistake made. As the article continued on, I was amazed and realized how true it was. I knew right then I wanted to blog about it. So I went to find the article and it was no where to be found. However, the article I found was from USA Today, which also talks about the change in religion from state to state. In the other article talked about how in Vermont, most people who are protestant and just not acknowledging themselves as religious. This is also happening with the Catholic religion. My thoughts about this, is not surprising to me. As a protestant, I know that I do not need religion on a daily basis. It is more of traditions and holidays when religion in my family is important. Whereas, according to this article from USA Today says that Mississippi is the most religious state. I think this is accurate because I know that the farther south you go, the more that religion is important. I just found this article to be fascinating knowing that I live in the least religious state but that I have contributed to part of the reason that we are that low. 

No comments:

Post a Comment