Monday, February 23, 2009

Stereotyping Religion

After watching Reel Bad Arabs in class, I began to think about the stereotypes that dominate my life. I encounter stereotypes everyday. When I tell people I'm going to college, they act very surprised because I'm a waitress. Waitresses can't be intelligent? When I tell people I'm majoring in accounting, they make a painful face. Accounting can't be enjoyable? Why do people have to make assumptions so quickly?
I was raised to not be quick to judge. My mother hates being stereotyped, especially about religion. Around the holidays when my mother goes out and about, everywhere she goes there are people saying "Merry Christmas" to her. She hates it. Just to prove a point she will go out of her way to reply "I'm Jewish" even though we're not at all. However embarrassing this may be to me, she has a point. Why does everyone assume that Christmas is being celebrated in every house? The assumption that people believe in a higher power is evident in everyday life. Even the common reply to a sneeze is God bless you. In this video clip, Dane Cook finds himself in an awkward situation similar to that that the cashiers encounter with my mother. Warning: this video contains vulgar language.


Religion is not something to be taken lightly to some people, so why must other people insist on bringing it into everyday life. Or should these people not be so sensitive to these common sayings and greetings? I'm torn between these two extremely different opinions and I hope that through this course I can come to terms with my spiritual identity as well as others.

2 comments:

  1. After reading this post I thought about the two jobs that I have had in the past. At both jobs I was a casheir for local retail stores and around Christmas or any other holiday we were not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter" because it could offend a customer. Asia brought up a good point when she talked about why people are so sensitive to those greetings. Most cashiers are just trying to be friendly and making sure the customer is satisfied. We are not trying to offend anyone in any way and I think people that practice different religions should realize that. I wouldn't get offended if a Jewish person said "Happy Hanukkah" because I realize that Hanukkah is their holiday. Many people have mixed feelings about religion and I think it's hard not to offend people because there is so many different beliefs. If you are a cashier just say "Happy Holidays" and everyone will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this blog post is the best because Dane Cook is so funny. He says and does the things that you want to say and do but are too chicken too. What he talks about in his skit is someone sneezing and then refusing his bless you in response because they choose to not believe in a god. I just think that some people are too sensitive to their religious or non- religious beliefs. I think that some people need to realize that not everyone has the same religious views and most people especially someone saying "bless you" does not want to know yours.

    ReplyDelete