Monday, February 16, 2009

Musically Deceptive: The Faith Behind the Words

I've always been interested in religion, but it hasn't been until recently that I've started noticing the subtle hints of it more main stream culture. While flipping through my music list, I happen to come across certain bands listed as Christian Rock that previously, I had believed to be completely without religious connotation. 

A band called Demon Hunter, which I had originally thought was of the metalcore genre, is actually classified as Gospel music. The members themselves are Christian by faith and  if you listen closely, you can hear them express. At first, I didn't believe it. I thought it was a misinterpretation by crazed evangelists trying to rationalize lyrics, especially since the instrumental portion was influenced by Machine Head and Living Sacrifice, both well established metal bands. 


I listened more closely and realized that these weren't such stretched theories.  In their song "Through the Black" much of what they're singing about is religiously affiliated. 



In the lines "I follow the downside, I'm waiting for something else. I know that you'll be here and I'll be waiting," it can be inferred that the wait for  contact from God, or the rise to heaven is what is being sun about. The entire song goes on in this manner, addressing the belief that God is always watching us, and that we'll be redeemed when he finally comes again. 


Another band that threw me for a spin genre wise, was Blindside. Although they have a very alternative/metal feel, Blindside is classified as Christian Metal. In their album "About a Burning Fire," their spiritual side can be clearly seen through their lyrics. One of their songs, "Shekina," is actually the Jewish and Christian name for the outer presence of God's glory. 


I also looked into their lyrics more deeply and realized that once again, religion had snuck it's way into my play list. The most notable song was the first song on "About a Burning Fire,"  called "Eye of the Storm." 



This entire song is an allegory to religious growth and experience. The chorus reads "Please come closed, 'cause I don't even touch you anymore. Please see I'm walking into the eye of the storm, and I'll still come out loving you even more." To someone not looking, this may just seem like a love song, and in a way it is. On a deeper level it's about the experience of moving away from the your comfort zone, and still feeling him in your life. 


These are only two examples, but there are many other bands that also have more secretive Christian roots. Anberlin, which was originally called Servants after God's own heart when it was only the bassist and singer, have Christian Punk roots that show in many of their lyrics. Skillet, which also has a rough sound bordering more on the Alternative/Industrial rock side, is also a Christian Rock band. 


Some would think that with the name of Christian rock behind them, these bands would sell less because of their religious connotation, but in fact they are some of the top selling and most popular bands. As McDannell states in Material Christianity, "The commercial fascination with the material culture of Catholicism is currently widespread in the U.S." Religion has become fashionable, and even though we may not realize it, we're sporting it more now than ever. It's become an accessory, a genre, a culture outside of it's original contexts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment