Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Who needs God?

I find it interesting how people my age, especially in the northeastern United States, view religion. A large majority of the people I know from both high school and college, call themselves liberals. They proudly denounce the existence of God or apathetically call themselves agnostic. Is this really a “progressive” movement? Many would argue that it is. Many argue that organized religions are backward and manipulative institutions. Although I strongly disagree with this argument, there are a number of faiths that even I would not defend against these criticisms. Religion has a distinct role and provides a distinct service to society; not everyone who can write a book or speak articulately can provide that service.

In a growing world sorely lacking spiritual guidance, I cannot help but wonder where we will end up. Where are children learning morals, in public schools? My mother, a preschool teacher, comes home horrified that these children know more four letter words than she does and have no concept of respect. Clearly something is not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment