Monday, April 20, 2009

Piece and Quiet...Whats That?

In class we discussed how each of us as a different opinion about solitude and what that means to us. Some students said they rather be around people all the time and don't like being alone, while others said they like the piece and quiet. As I thought about my life, I realized that I don't like to be alone and I try to find something to do instead of being by myself. I'm the type of person who likes to keep busy and cannot just sit around and think or read. As the article "The End of Solitude" states, "technology is taking away our privacy and our concentration, but it is also taking away our ability to be alone." I agree with this statement 100% because when I'm on the computer I go straight for my email and get side tracked instead of going straight to finishing my homework. I believe that this is an ongoing problem and will get worse as technology advances more. Another problem is cell phones. We discussed in class how many students always have their cell phones on and they text all day long. As for me, I don't text during class because I get distracted and I miss important parts that the teacher is explaining. I find it rude to text when you are with your friends especially if you are at dinner with them or if your just hanging out together. Most of the time my cell phone is near me where ever I go, but I hardly get calls and most of the people I talk to on my phone are with me all day. I believe that technology is sometimes ruining our education because it distracts us more than it helps us.

As this commerical points out, young kids are texting more than ever and even adults are using their phones to text there friends. Many of my friends text their parents instead of calling them. I feel that texting is not a personal way to communicate and I think that by texting someone you are more likely to say your true feelings to them, then you would if you said it to their face. For examply many people break off their relationships with someone over texting and that shows that they don't have the guts to tell them to their face.
Cell phones can be helpful in many ways, but we have come to take advantage of the benefits and now they are ruining our way of life. Could each of you spend one day without texting somone?

No comments:

Post a Comment