Monday, April 27, 2009

Wanting More

As the semester comes to an end, I have been thinking a lot about American life and how religion fits in. I feel like we as a nation, are missing out on something because of our lack of faith. This brings me to think about the Amish people with their simplistic lifestyle. Our world is so full of commodities that we don’t need and these commodities have taken us away from something important. Religion is something that is very different in today’s society. These commodities have taken us away from what truly is important. Some would probably argue about this. My response would be; What do you get out of your video games? There is no true meaning in video games. We constantly overlook the best part of life. Spending time with family and friends and enjoying nature as it is. I think the Amish have all this. Yes, their life is very hard but I argue that they truly live life to its fullest. They appreciate every day and are experiencing life as many of us won’t. I want what they have, a life with peace and a true understanding of their faith. I feel very strongly that the faith of the Amish and people from the beginning of our country, had faith like we never will. I guess this is due to the lack of knowledge about evolution and commodities but I want that. I want to not have this faith that isn’t questioned but truly believed because I feel they have peace in their lives do to this. It’s just something I have been thinking about for years and really feel I have missed out on something. I want the world to go back to these days but realize this will never happen. The Amish interest me with their simplicity and community based society. I constantly wonder what it would be like to live in their society. Would I feel more at ease? Would it really provide me with all that I’d hoped it would? I have this urge to know this and yet I probably never will.

So I know that I probably won’t become Amish even though that thought is very tempting. I have realized I need to make changes in my life so that I don’t feel I am missing out. William Deresiewicz wrote an article “The End of Solitude”. He talks about how our society has turned away from solitude but specifically refers to our generation. “I once asked my students about the place of solitude in their lives. One of them admitted that she finds the prospect of being alone so unsettling that she’ll sit with a friend even when she has a paper to write” (1). This is a very startling thought to me because it describes me in some ways. Ever since I have been in college I have this fear of being alone. I don’t like it at all. I contribute this fear to when my parents had to leave me at college and I stood there knowing no one. That was the scariest thing I have ever done. Never have a felt more alone in my life. Ever since then, I make sure I am not alone for long periods of time. Yet, when I’m home, I seek out alone time. I can’t wait to spend time by myself just thinking but often to read and let my mind wonder.
Deresiewicz also talks about the use of cell phones and facebook. I honestly don’t have facebook because it would take up too much of my time and I don’t want that. I do agree that I would meet a lot more people if I did have facebook but I don’t feel I’m missing out. The idea of being on the computer that long is truly frightening to me. I also am not a fan of texting. It is not personal enough to me and I feel like I’m talking to a robot. I admit my phone is constantly on me and I should try not being with it but I am not constantly using my phone either.
To wrap these two ideas together, I think the reason I want to be Amish is because of the lack of solitude in my life. If I were to have more time to myself to enjoy my surroundings and get to know myself more I would find the peace I am longing for. Does anyone feel they need more solitude in their life or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment